Zucchini Quinoa Risotto (V)

Today I decided it was time for a new quinoa risotto! After going through all my cookbooks to find some recipes for next weeks menu I discover a regular zucchini risotto in a Dutch Cook book: Koken met Karin [zonder pakkes & zakjes deel 2]. That gave me the idea to make another quinoa risotto! I used red quinoa this time because I had some left and red quinoa even contains more nutrients compared to white quinoa. The concept behind it is basically the same as with brown and white rice. For this recipe I used the basic quinoa risotto posted a while ago and I used left over zucchini and chestnut mushrooms.


Duration: 30 minutes

The ingredients for 1 serving:
  • 75 g (red) quinoa 
  • 1 small zucchini of about 200 g
  • 6 chestnut mushrooms
  • 1 small white onion
  • 1 vegetable stock cube
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 3 tbs grated parmesan cheese
  • fresh rosemary (1 to 2 sprigs) and thyme (2 to 3 sprigs)
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper

What you do:
  1. Heat 1.2 liter water in your kettle and wash the quinoa. Cut the onion into small pieces and fry the onion in one tablespoon olive oil and one crushed garlic clove. 
  2. Add about 1 to 2 sprigs of finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves and the quinoa. Crumble over the vegetable stock cube and 1 glass of boiling water and let it cook on medium heat until the stock has been absorbed, stirring regularly. 
  3. During the stirring process (which takes about 20 minutes) add cups of boiling water until the quinoa is done (you need approximately 1 liter). Meanwhile chop the mushrooms in four and zucchini into cubes or slices in four. 
  4. Remove the pan from the heat when the quinoa is done and stir in 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese and some fresh thyme leaves. Let the quinoa soak for 5 minutes.
  5. Bake the mushrooms and zucchini in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one crushed garlic clove. Season with salt & pepper and some fresh thyme leaves.
  6. Stir about 3/4 of the vegetable mix through the risotto and add parmesan cheese to taste.
  7. Put the risotto on a plate, finish of with the rest of the vegetables and garnish with some more parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

    Do you want to make me later or share me with your friends? “PIN” me to PINTEREST or “SHARE” me on FACEBOOK, using the social media icons below (in the gray frame)! 

1 comment: